Monday, November 5, 2007

Constructivism

There was a lot to read about constructivism but I think I have a pretty good idea now about what it is. Constructivist learning environments focus on giving students authentic, real-world problems to solve. Constructivism emphasizes the importance of the learner being actively involved in the learning process. I think it is extremely important to have a hands on experience when learning. Students shouldn't have to sit there and listen and write. They should be able to be learn and build from previous knowledge. I teach math so students almost have to be actively engaged to understand what is going on. They also need to understand how the math they are learning relates to real life. Students are constantly asking "when am I going to use this in real life?" I always try to make sure I have an example ready for them because that is one way to get them involved. When that doesn't work I try and give them a hands on experience. I recently did a group project in my Contemporary Math class on Pascal's Triangle. Each group member had a different part and had to find out through the internet about their part. There were 4 parts, Historian, Technician, Analyst, and Artist. They were motivated to do this because they were able to use the computer to look up there information. I had given them a basic summary the day before about Pascal's triangle and they had to go more in depth in each of there areas. Once they researched there part, as a group they presented to the class. Each group presented in a different way. One group used power point, another a poster and one even did a rap about Pascal's triangle. I was truly happy with the way everybody presented and was involved the whole time. A constructivist classroom is definitely a good way to learn!

No comments: